Re: What to do when a package fails to build on one arch ?

* Charles Plessy [Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:33:51 +0900]:

Hi,

> I have two packages which fail to build on m68k. The reason for this is
> obviously a bug in a math library.

> http://people.debian.org/~igloo/status.php?email=debian-med-packaging%40lists.alioth.debian.org
> http://bugs.debian.org/340871

> I think that what I will do is open a bug for each package in which I
> explain that I will not do anything until 340871 is fixed, and block
> them with by 340871.

> If I understand correctly, failing to build from source is a
> release-critical severity. However, the packages are meant to do some
> scientific computations, and I would be really astonished to hear that
> somebody would use them on m68k. So if the bug in the math library is
> not fixed by the freeze of testing, shall I drop m68k support for those
> two packages ? Who shall I consult before doing this?

Given that m68k is not a release arch so it won't affect the migration
of your packages to testing, and that #340871 seems on its way to being
fixed, I'd say that you need not do anything at all about this, and just
let the m68k porters mark your packages for rebuild once #340871 is
fixed.

Only, in case they provide a workaround for the bug (eg., "build with
-O0  instead of -O2"), you may consider applying it for m68k only.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

When all is summed up, a man never speaks of himself without loss; his
accusations of himself are always believed; his praises never.
                -- Michel de Montaigne