Re: What to do when a package fails to build on one arch ?

Hi Charles,

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 12:33:51AM +0900, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:

> Dear mentors,
>
> I have two packages which fail to build on m68k. The reason for this is
> obviously a bug in a math library.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~igloo/status.php?email=debian-med-packaging%40lists.alioth.debian.org
> http://bugs.debian.org/340871
>
> I think that what I will do is open a bug for each package in which I
> explain that I will not do anything until 340871 is fixed, and block
> them with by 340871.
>
> If I understand correctly, failing to build from source is a
> release-critical severity. However, the packages are meant to do some
> scientific computations, and I would be really astonished to hear that
> somebody would use them on m68k. So if the bug in the math library is
> not fixed by the freeze of testing, shall I drop m68k support for those
> two packages ? Who shall I consult before doing this?

If the package only FTBFS on m68k go and ask some m68k porters to
investigate in the problem, or, if you have a debian account, ask
debian-admin to install the build-deps on the according porter machine.
(see http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi for more details).

I CC'd debian-68k@l.d.o, so the get aware of your problem.

Greetings
Martin