Re: COPYING says GPL, but all headers say LGPL

Tyler MacDonald <tyler@yi.org> wrote:
> > They really should state that if it is their intention.  A lot of
> > those "builder" type programs do it, such as auto* bison and dh-make
> > (I changed it after someone pointed out the problem with not having
> > the specific exception).
> 	Fair enough. This still doesn't qualify debian's position on such
> files, but I've filed a bug with Devel::PPPort here:
> 	http://rt.cpan.org//Ticket/Display.html?id=20179

	The author has replied (attached). ppport.h will always include a
license in the future. Unfortunate, but at least it's clear. :-)

		- Tyler

--- Begin Message ---

On Wed Jun 28 23:49:46 2006, CRAKRJACK wrote:

> If "perl ppport.h --strip" it ran, all licensing information is removed
> from ppport.h.

Thanks for catching that!

> This means that if somebody releases a package that does
> not fall under the perl license with a stripped ppport.h file, it
> appears that the perl license does not apply.
> This raises an interesting question: Should people who use ppport.h be
> encumbered by the perl license? I would like to think not, but it is
> really up to you people, the authors.
> This causes problems for people deciding to bundle software (eg; os
> vendors) that use perl-XS packages. Please see:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2006/06/msg00561.html and
> clairify your position. One of the following two solutions would be ideal:
> 1) Make the product of Devel::PPPort (ppport.h) pretty much public
> domain with no licensing requirements whatsoever. This is what autoconf
> et al do.

I don't think this can be done, as ppport.h contains verbatim
copies of functions from the perl core.

> 2) Make it so that "perl ppport.h --strip" does not remove the license
> info, so that people are not mistaken in thinking the perl license does
> not apply.

That's what I've just implemented in my development version of
Devel::PPPort. The change will be part of the next release,
which I'll try to put out next week. I'll let you know when
it's released.

Thanks again for your report!

--- End Message ---