Re: RFS: xboard

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 08:10:38AM -0400, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:
> will allow it at all. BTW, what's the policy about bugs/features that
> are so deeply ingrained in the code that fixing would require a
> significant rewrite? Are such bugs supposed to stay active even if
> upstream author is not interested in rewriting the program?

If it is really a bug, and it's quite difficult to fix in a sane way,
it should be kept open but tagged "wontfix". However, if a user has
wrong expectations about how a program should work, it is advisable to
explain the program's behavior and just close the bug.

> Thanks for the tip on Sid. I don't recall any specific information about
> the development environment from the "beginner's" documents mentioned
> above, so I assumed it could be Sarge. Will setup Sid then.

As mentioned by someone else before, the development starts in Sid.
Please note that you don't need to upgrade your whole system to
Unstable, a clean chroot (-> pbuilder) will just suffice.

> So, anyway, should I go ahead and take responsibility over xboard (which
> would not make it worse) or should I not bother and leave the package as
> orphaned?

I, for one, am not opposed to your adopting in general. :) It's just
that I personally prefer to see some meaningful update.
On the other hand, to lighten the load of the ever working QA team is
a valuable asset as well... So, could you please tell me what your
further plans wrt xboard are?

Cheers,
Flo