Re: RFS: xboard

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:44:45PM -0400, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:
> I am still willing to take over the package maintenance. If that's ok,
> what should be my next step? I can obviously take  4.2.7-4 from unstable
> and release it as 4.2.7-5 with updated Maintainer's header. Is that the
> right way to go?

Well, if you find someone to sponsor such an upload for you then you
are done. :)
However, I'd greatly welcome if some more meaningful changes /
improvements were applied, especially since I've seen people who did
nothing else but claiming a package by sticking their name to it, who
then didn't respond to bugs or package a new upstream release for
years, yet still proudly put "Debian maintainer" in their résumé.
Of course, this doesn't need to apply to you at all, but I personally
prefer to see contributions instead of claims.

Please see the fine debian-mentors FAQ at
<http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html> as well as
the Debian Policy Manual, the Developer's Reference and the New
Maintainers' Guide for detailed information on how to proceed and
about Debian.
You'll need a clean Sid build environment for building your package,
and some meaningful change(s), even if it's only some bugs the stupid
previous maintainer has introduced. ;)

Cheers,
Flo