Re: RFS: xboard

Hello Florian -

Thank you for pointing the problems out. The only excuse is that this is
my very first attempt to contribute to the Debian project and I hope
future ones will be more successful. :-) I didn't know I had to check
the unstable in order to get the most recent version, so I ended up with
version 4.2.6 without all the patches.

I am still willing to take over the package maintenance. If that's ok,
what should be my next step? I can obviously take  4.2.7-4 from unstable
and release it as 4.2.7-5 with updated Maintainer's header. Is that the
right way to go?

Florian Ernst wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:02:49AM -0400, Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a sponsor for (previously orphaned) xboard package. :-)
>>

> As far as I know the previous maintainer I pretty much doubt this is
> what he intended: you appear to ignore quite some of the package's
> history, including the last four uploads, thus silently dropping most
> of the past improvements. And even some older patches such as the
> lowtimewarning are reverted. As I was considering picking this up
> myself again I'm really not amused.
> Please redo your packaging from scratch, basing on 4.2.7-4 as present
> in Unstable. In the current state your packaging should most
> definitely _not_ be sponsored. Besides, it wouldn't get into the
> archives anyway due to bad versioning.
>
> Slightly confused,
> Flo

Regards,
--
Alexander L. Belikoff                          http://www.belikoff.net
PGP/GPG fingerprint: 907E E5C6 7BA7 195A 5B38  0DD4 E14F 9428 C03A 787A