Re: first package pcftisio

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 01:42:18PM +0100, Cedric BRINER wrote:
> the error that I've mentionned in my previous email, was that after making a
> cd python-cfitsio-0.99.2/
> fakeroot debian/rules binary
> fakeroot debian/rules clean
> cd ..
> dpkg-source -b python-cfitsio-0.99.2
> and that I was having thi directory : python-cfitsio-0.99.2/build
>  -sould this one be located here after the compilation

It depends on the program's build process.  If it is created by the build
process, then it is correct that it is still there.

>  -or should this one be deleted adfer fakeroot debian/rules clean

Yes.  The clean target should leave the tree in the state it was before the
build started.  This means:
- Any debian-specific patches are applied (they end up in the .diff.gz).
  Usually this includes the whole debian/ directory.
- Any generated files which were present in the original tarball, to which the
  (generated) changes should not be in the diff.gz should be deleted.  That
  way they are ignored by the diff.  This can be used for example for
  Makefile.in (and the rest of the autotools junk) when running the autotools
  from debian/rules.

> now I'm having an other problem that I hope I solved..(is that correct?)
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}

dpkg-gencontrol substitutes some stuff from debian/control to be their actual
values.  In the build process, these values can be defined.  In some cases,
they aren't, which leads to this kind of warnings.  Personally I prefer to
leave the parts in, so when the build process changes and they would have a
value, it is automatically used.  If you think you will remember, you can
remove them and put them back when they are needed.

> so, what I've understand is that there is no such way do this for python
> package. Even for a shared object used by
> this module( /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/pcfitsio.so) ??
> so I've modified the control file by adding a key to Depends:
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, libcfitsio2 #${misc:Depends}

I haven't done any python packaging, so I'm not sure about this.  But in
general, dh_shlibdeps should fill in shlibs:Depends to be all the libraries
you need.  In case of python, perhaps dh_python does this instead.  It seems
unlikely that the list is not generated (if it can be, which I assume perhaps
incorrectly).

> I've got also:
> gpg: skipped "cedric briner
> is that mandatory to make it work ?

In order to upload the package, it must be signed by a Debian Developer.  It
is a good idea to sign your packages anyway, even if you are not a Debian
Developer.  That way your sponsor knows it was really you who made the
package.  For that, you need gnupg installed, and you need to have a gpg key
(which you can generate with it).

Thanks,
Bas