Re: [gmail] Re: RFS k9copy

On Thursday 05 January 2006 11:58, Marc Leeman wrote:
> > [cut]
> > I forgot the ITP number: 320045
>
> I have been testing k9copy on a number of my DVDs; but it rarely manages
> to shrink a DVD properly (1-1).
>
> I might be missing something, but what seems to be a problem is:
>
>   1. you cannot adjust the shrink ratio: on analysing a DVD, it does
>      some guess of the ratio (the result is a bit smaller wrt the
>      original).
>      After requantising it, I end up with a disk of e.g. 4.9 Gigs
>      instead of 6.2 Gigs. Not really useful :-/
This is a problem of every program like this that I've tested...
qVamps does that like k9copy...
It could be a feedback for the upstream author, in order to have a mor
competitive and featured program...

>   2. The bottom slider is also a bit confusing: with the DVDs tested;
>      the slider jumps to the left in the red (I would have expected to
>      the right). Red is bad (I assume, confirmed by the result).
I undestood that this line represent the compression ratio... red means hight,
green good...
I suppose a 100% in red position and a 0% in green (% respect the size of DVD)

>      However, there is (AFAIK) no indication of _how_ bad it is: how
>      much the DVD is oversized.
>      Combined with this; when removing tracks in an attempt to get the
>      DVD within the 4.4 boundary, the slider moves to the right (in the
>      inverse logic); but there is no message if the DVD will fit or not;
>      the only thing one can do is to run the re-quantising process and
>      hope for the best.
This could be another feedback...
I never use this process (normally I made a backup of film, without menu and
something else...)!

> From what I've read from vamps; the ratio should be adjustable though so
> the front-end could be improved a lot (maybe time to fire up glade-2 in
> some idle evening).
Yes, the ratio factor is an arbitrary value :-)
I'm writing an email to upstream author with these feedback and notes... for
the next release!

> I think you're going to have a lot of remarks on this once it hits
> Debian.
This could be a great way to add new features and help the author to make
k9copy better, imho!

> This being said, I think it's a great package and reading the noise on
> e.g. the transcoding lists; this is what a lot of ppl are looking for on
> GNU/Linux.
I agree!

Cheers and thank you for your feedback!!

--
   ~~>MaXeR <~~
Home: http://www.knio.it