Re: RFS: bmeps, command line tool for converting bitmap images to eps-files

Dear Anders,

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Anders Lennartsson wrote:
> I'm looking for a sponsor for a set of deb-packages of bmeps and the libraries.

I am not a DD so I cannot sponsor your upload but here are some
comments on your package.

> This application is a tool to convert various bitmaps to
> eps-format. It is released by the upstream author Dirk Krause under
> LGPL. The upstream web-site is at http://bmeps.sourceforge.net.
>
> >From the control file:
>  The bmeps packages contain tools for converting bitmap images to
>  eps-files. Currently bmeps can handle .pnm, .ppm, .pgm, .pbm, .jpeg,
>  and .png images.  The conversion functions are also available in
>  library form.

Since PNG and JPG files can be included in PS level 3 essentially
without conversion you could perhaps give some reasons why such
conversion could be useful.

> The packaging specific parts and files are viewable on
> http://www.lennartsson.se/svn/debian/bmeps
> (at least will be, after syncing tonight)

I couldn't access the packages from there but from the sources lines
given below I could.

> debs are available from
> deb http://www.lennartsson.se/ debian/
> deb-src http://www.lennartsson.se/ debian/

1. Lintian points out the following errors:

	a. The debian/compat file and the DH_COMPAT variable in
	debian/rules are two ways of doing the same thing. You should
	pick one.
	b. While your debian/changelog says you bumped the standards version
	your debian/control file does not indicate the same.

2. The orig.tar.gz contains the original tar.gz as a file. Is there a
   reason for packaging this way rather than the more conventional
   way of keeping the original tar.gz as Debian's orig.tar.gz?

3. The debian/changelog refers to earlier versions of bmeps but there
   were no earlier versions in the archive!

All the best with getting your package accepted by a "real" sponsor.

Regards,

Kapil.