Re: repack upstream sources or overrides ?

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:

> On 2005-11-15, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>> "fakeroot debian/rules binary" directly won't get bitten.  Other than
>> that, I would do nothing - it is a bug, therefore a lintian override is
>> inappropriate, but it is not serious enough to justify messing with the
>> tarball.
>
> So you suggest that I do not repack source and do not add overrides ?
>
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html
> about lintian in the serious violations-part
> "Sometimes there are valid reasons, but then you should either file a
> bug against lintian if it's generally wrong or include an override in
> your package, giving a reason in the changelog for it"

I wasn't aware that it is a new package.  Anyway, I assume the rationale
for the lintian error is that this *might* screw up builds badly.  But
on the other hand, there are ways to prevent that, and I don't think
that if a maintainer chooses to do so, he should instead be forced to
repackage the source.

I don't know how communication with the ftp-masters works these days;
ideally they would read through files in the debian dir (what about
README.ftp-masters :-)...) and find your note about the reasoning.  I
would not just add a lintian overrides without having the package
double-checked by a person who really understands the issues and
verifies that the files will really be out of effect.

Just my 2c, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich