Re: repack upstream sources or overrides ?

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 02:08:59AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am working on #338554 - and I am almost there. I have one big problem,
>> though.
>>
>> Upstream did not run make distclean before releasing the tarball. Of
>> course, linda and lintian complains about this.
>>
>> Should I add overrides for lintian warnings and linda _errors_ to
>> address this problems - or is the right thing to unpack sources;
>> make distclean; pack sources and call that .orig.tar.gz  ?

Obviously you didn't read

file:///usr/share/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-origtargz

otherwise you wouldn't have forgotten "rename the directory to
packagename>-<upstream-version>.orig".

> What errors?  I think the 3 typically justified cases for needing a
> nonpristine tarball are:
>
>   - non dfsg clean
>   - requires multiple source tarballs, or sourcetarball not tar.gz
>     format
>   - source tarball includes generated binaries
>     (is this your situation?)

I don't think that generated binaries in the tarball justify repackaging
- I think it is always possible to remove them in the clean target,
which will always be called when dpkg-buildpackage is used.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich