Re: Debian Packaging Guide/Tutorial
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Debian Packaging Guide/Tutorial
- From: Justin Pryzby <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:19:10 -0500
- Message-id: <20051111211910.GA22942@andromeda>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com> <20051111193945.GA22344@andromeda> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 04:02:56PM -0500, Derek The Monkey Wueppelmann wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 14:39 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > A sufficiently generalized piece of documentation would be great,
> > though. Suggestions for content: conffile handling (dpkg.org),
> > maintscripts (debian women? I don't fully grok these yet!), and
> > upgrade handling with eg. split packages and Replaces.
> I've looked through most of these resources. However some of the
> packaging structure still seems to be missing. I know I mentioned this
> before but apparently if you have a config file in your debian directory
> this script is called prior to the preinst script and is supposed to be
> used for your debconf questions. What is interesting is that I haven't
> seen this any of this documented anywhere, I only happened upon it
> because a debian developer pointed it out.
In the specific case of debconf, I'll bet that the critical piece of
missing information is debconf-devel.7 from package debconf-doc.
> Sorry for the rant, it's just a little frustrating.
File a bug against developers-reference (or whatever you feel the
relevent document is), and I'll bet that it'll get fixed.