Re: Debian Packaging Guide/Tutorial

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 14:39 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
<snip>
> A sufficiently generalized piece of documentation would be great,
> though.  Suggestions for content: conffile handling (dpkg.org),
> maintscripts (debian women? I don't fully grok these yet!), and
> upgrade handling with eg. split packages and Replaces.

I've looked through most of these resources. However some of the
packaging structure still seems to be missing. I know I mentioned this
before but apparently if you have a config file in your debian directory
this script is called prior to the preinst script and is supposed to be
used for your debconf questions. What is interesting is that I haven't
seen this any of this documented anywhere, I only happened upon it
because a debian developer pointed it out.

Is there any kind of documentation that would point out features like
this out there. I'm not even terribly concerned with it all being in one
location, I can do the collection of it myself. I just find that it
makes it really hard to start building packages in an efficient manner
when after several months of hacking away someone comes by and says "You
know you should really be doing it this way" having no clue that that
way even exsited.

Sorry for the rant, it's just a little frustrating.

--
 o)    Derek Wueppelmann               (o
(D .    monkey@monkey.homeip.net        D).