Debian Packaging Guide/Tutorial

I've been playing around with packaging up some of my projects for
debian. I have gotten it to work, but I'm still having problems
understanding some of the features that are available (for instance it
took me forever to learn about the .config file).

Is there any kind of tutorial or guide that explains all of the debian
packaging system, which files do what, how to make upgrades go smoothly
wihtout always removing then installing the package? Any kind of help
would be appreciated thanks.

--
 o)    Derek Wueppelmann               (o
(D .    monkey@monkey.homeip.net        D).