Re: [RFS] crystalcursors and kde-icons-nuovext

Ricardo Mones wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:47:26 +0200
> Bastian Venthur <expires-2006@venthur.de> wrote:
>
>> > - a lot of commented-out debhelper calls in debian/rules
>>
>> Hmm, this is rather cosmetical, isn't it?
>
>   Is not only cosmetics, is also disk space and bandwidth for holding
> useless stuff.

Ok I really don't want to argue about this, but this argument seems not very
appropriate.

Of course you are right, leaving stuff commented-out instead of removing
them *is* a waste of bandwidth and space, but we're talking about -- let's
see:

I've removed all the comments from the "rules" file and debuild'ed the
package again. Let's compare the resulting filesizes against the old ones
(with comments):

~/Desktop/tmp/CC$ tree .
.
|-- with-comments
|   |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1.diff.gz
|   |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1.dsc
|   |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1_all.deb
|   |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1_i386.changes
|   `-- crystalcursors_1.1.1.orig.tar.gz
`-- wo-comments
    |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1.diff.gz
    |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1.dsc
    |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1_all.deb
    |-- crystalcursors_1.1.1-1_i386.changes
    `-- crystalcursors_1.1.1.orig.tar.gz

2 directories, 10 files
~/Desktop/tmp/CC$ du -b with-comments/ wo-comments/
1083695 with-comments/
1083357 wo-comments/

The difference in *bytes* is exactly 338 -- this is ~5-10 times smaller than
the size of *one* single cursor contained in this package.

The reason why I try to leave all the commands commented-out instead of
removing them is simple: Packaging is a quite new task for me and it
happens that I accidently remove a line too much from the rules file.
Afterwards it's easier to comment them in again than to find the appropiate
command and place where to insert it again, if I've removed too much.

After all I'm not really convinced that this practice is worth discussing,
but I admit that this might poor style.

But on the other hand the package seems to be clean and fixes an (for
lefthanded users) annoying bug, so if nobody finds another bug could
somebody please sponsor the upload?

Kind regards

Bastian