first steps (pcfitsio, pyraf and iraf)

Hi,

I'm working as a sysadmin at the Geneva Observatory and we do need some softwares which are not provided by the debian distribution. So I thought that it will be a good idea to do this job well once and to give this back to the debian community.

the software that I'm willing to package are: pcfitsio, pyraf, iraf

pcfitsio : http://panoramix.stsci.edu/~npirzkal/python/pcfitsio/index.html
--------
   I've send last firday an email to the author of pcfitsio to ask him the kind of copyright which is not given on his software:
   http://panoramix.stsci.edu/~npirzkal/python/pcfitsio/downloads/pCFITSIO-0.99.2.tar.gz
   this software is a python module which is a wrapper to cfitsio (cfitsio is the c implementation of fitsion which was written in fortran), and provide the ability to r/w fits file which are commonly used on astronomy

   I've already compile this on my machine and install it. So it seems that it won't be that difficult

iraf : http://iraf.noao.edu/
----
    Image Reduction and Analysis Facility
    I've not already send them an email.
    I've thought to package it when the pcfitsio and pyraf will be done.

pyraf : http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/pyraf
-----
   I've send an email to them, and they told me that they will kindly help me in this work. And that the only reason that they are not packaging their work for different distribution was due to a lake of ressources : )
   this soft is a command language based on python to enpower the iraf with python.
   the installation steps are provided at : http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/pyraf/stsci_python/Installation
   Not yet tried to install this on my machine

So please tell me where shall I start ?

Regards

Ced.

--