Re: first steps (pcfitsio, pyraf and iraf)

Cedric BRINER wrote:

> I'm working as a sysadmin at the Geneva Observatory and we do need
> some softwares which are not provided by the debian distribution. So I
> thought that it will be a good idea to do this job well once and to
> give this back to the debian community.

Really, you will need to do it more than once - each new upstream
version of each package will need adapting for and uploading to debian.
If you don't want to be the maintainer, but you want to package these
packages, you will need to find someone else to be the maintainer for
them once they are packaged. I'd suggest asking on the debian-science
list if you need someone for this.

> pcfitsio :
> I've send last firday an email to the author of pcfitsio to ask him
> the kind of copyright which is not given on his software

Excellent. It is a pity so much free software needs this kind of
copyright clarification and auditing.

> iraf : http://iraf.noao.edu/

This used to be in debian, but it was removed:

http://packages.debian.org/oldstable/science/iraf
http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals.txt
http://bugs.debian.org/232472
[Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:50:58 -0500] [ftpmaster: James Troup]
Removed the following packages from unstable:

      iraf |   2.11.3-2 | source, i386
  iraf-dev |   2.11.3-2 | all
 iraf-ibin |   2.11.3-3 | source, i386
iraf-noaobin |   2.11.3-2 | source, i386
   x11iraf |      1.2-4 | source, alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
Closed bugs: 232472
------------------- Reason -------------------
RoQA; FTBFS, FHS violations, needs to be repackaged.
Explanation:
	Request of debian Quality Assurance
	Fails to build from source
	File hierarchy standard violations

> So please tell me where shall I start ?

Read the new maintainers guide, the debian mentors FAQ, then file some
ITP bugs. Since the software you want to package are mainly python bits,
you should read the python policy, and look at using cdbs (it simplifies
making debian packages for python and other packages). An example cdbs
debian/rules file for a python package is listed below.

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/python-modules/pygoogle/debian/rules?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

--