Re: Problem with one package that use php License

Hi Jose,

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 10:52:19AM -0300, Jose Carlos do Nascimento wrote:
> *php-xml-util    -   *version 2.0 of the PHP license
> *php-xml-serializer - version 3.0 of the PHP license
> **php-soap - version 2.0 of the PHP license
> php-cache - version 2.0 of the PHP license

It would help if you gave more pointers.  Some googling revealed:

On august 8, you uploaded 6 php packages:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:ytPBrmjvngQJ:qa.debian.org/~anibal/debian-NEW-summary.html+php-xml-serializer&hl=en

You probably received a message about rejection of some of these
packages; and this message probably gave some pointers.

Anyway, as you can read on http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html,
one of the problems with
http://pear.php.net/get/XML_Serializer-0.16.0.tgz 's usage of the PHP
License 3.0 ( http://www.php.net/license/3_0.txt ) is the fact that this
license says:

 Redistributions [...] must retain the acknowledgment: "This product
 includes PHP [...]"

.  Which is bogus.  Furthermore, the license says:

 Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
 may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
 from group@php.net.

This means you should have written permission before you are allowed to
publish a derived product (such as a Debian package) called
"php-xml-serializer"_something.  If I understand this all correctly,
Debian should have such a written permission before it can publish such
a package, too.

On http://pear.php.net/manual/en/faq.licenses.php is says Apache
License, LGPL and BSD-style licenses are OK for PEAR packages (next to a
PHP license).

Perhaps it'd be best to politely ask on the PEAR developers mailing list
what they think about the PHP license on code which does _not_ include
the Zend engine nor PHP itself.  As suggested on Debian legal, some
explanation about packaging PHP-licensed PEAR modules would be welcome.

Unfortunately, quite often people are not very keen on discussing
licensing issues :(

Rereading the pointers given by REJECT-FAQ might be helpful too.

Bye,

Joost