Re: RFS: kde-icons-nuvola -- popular icon theme for kde

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 10:00:37PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Christoph Haas wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:01:59PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> >> Hmmm could you please give me a hint how to use this? My steps are the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> 1) unpack tarball
> >> 2) rename dir if not compatible with debian's naming convention
> >
> > No need to do that. Just enter the directory - no matter what it's
> > called.
>
> this is exactly the reason, why I allways rename the dir: dh_make refuses to
> work if I run dh_make in the "nuvola" dir:
>
> ---
> The directory name must be <package>-<version> for dh_make to work!
> I cannot understand the directory name or you have an invalid directory
> name!
> ---

I haven't had any case where the upstream hasn't named the tarball's
content different from the package-version scheme. But one issue comes
to my mind:

Did you call dh_make with the "-f" option to tell it where the upstream
tarball resides? Without that option it would look for
../package_version.orig.tar.gz.

I don't think that it's completely evil to repack the upstream archive
if it has strange formats or naming conventions. Examples are:

- the archive is in .tar.bz format
- the archive is in .zip format
- the upstream provides a debian/ directory that you find unusable

> That's really no problem, it might be frustating to find a sponsor
> sometimes, but having people who are willing to help eases this a bit ;)

Just tell. I had lots of trouble finding sponsors. Yet another reason I
helped found <ad>mentors.debian.net</ad>. ;)

Once your package is fixed I'll offer sponsorship. Let us know when you
are done.

Regards
 Christoph
--