Re: depending on a customized library

On 5/26/05, Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> wrote:
> My upstream reports that according to his measurements, disabling
> THREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC gives only a 5% performance hit instead of 15%.  So
> it's much closer to the single-threaded case, but is still a bit
> slower.

Perhaps upstream is on a hyperthreaded CPU?  If so, could you ask him
to try the same conversion to thread-local allocation with and without
-DPARALLEL_MARK?  If he also sees that PARALLEL_MARK helps (or doesn't
hurt, anyway), perhaps Ryan should consider enabling it in the libgc
package.

Does the libgc-dev package contain a static library?  If so, and if
you think the dynamic linking overhead matters, you could always link
that library statically at build time.  Comparing profiling results
between the two is a fine way to find candidates for inlining.

Cheers,
- Michael