Re: depending on a customized library

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael K Edwards <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

Michael> Looks to me like THREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC is the major culprit.  May
Michael> I suggest that you try hacking the following lines out of
Michael> configure: in 6.3-1, 3941-3944; or in 6.4-1, 3942-3945.  This
Michael> will get you a build with POSIX thread safety but no
Michael> thread-local free lists (known to have side effects that are a
Michael> performance hit on uniprocessors).  Benchmark with that, and
Michael> see what proportion of the lost performance is restored.

Commenting out those lines, and compiling multi-threaded, gives
performance similar to the single-threaded case.  So what does this
mean?  I doubt that Ryan will want to disable THREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC
Debian-wide.

I also tried compiling with THREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC, but using
GC_local_malloc instead of GC_malloc, but performance is similar to just
using GC_malloc.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA