Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

also sprach Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> [2005.05.17.0335 +0200]:
> I'd like to submit patches for a couple of packages that currently use
> hand-rolled debian/rules files. Is the current best practise to use
> debhelper, or cdbs, or something else?

No. And don't go down this route because it *will* end with flame

also sprach Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> [2005.05.17.0345 +0200]:
> - Does not encourage evil things like build-time rewriting of
>   debian/control

Aw... :)

also sprach Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> [2005.05.17.0400 +0200]:
> On 17-May-2005, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > I don't think there's really consensus on it, but from personal
> > experience, I highly favour debhelper for reasons of least surprise:
> This seems a good reason, thanks.

No, it's not really. Do consider that debian/rules is maintainer
space, and not many maintainers like to be told to do things

> More to the point, how do I debhelper-ise an existing package and know
> that I've made good use of debhelper, rather than leaving lots of
> manual stuff that I didn't know to replace?

practice...? :)

also sprach Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es> [2005.05.17.0411 +0200]:
>   Sure, my intention was only to point out that there's nothing
>   intrinsically wrong about hand-rolled debian/rules files, though
>   it's very difficult to get everything right so few people choose that
>   road (hi Manoj!).

>   debhelper(7) contains a list of all the available dh_foo programs, and
>   a short description of each. That should give you hints of what stuff
>   can be done with it. And also, very importantly, read examples under
>   /usr/share/doc/debhelper, since most packages will use a very similar
>   structure.

If I may note, prefer specification of arguments over the files dh_*
progs read. I find it very tiring to have to leave debian/rules just
to figure out what a command really does.

also sprach Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> [2005.05.17.0417 +0200]:
> > The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in
> > higher esteem those who think alike than those who think
> > differently. -- F. Nietzsche
> Thanks, a new quote for my sigmonster.

I think it's a miss-quote. Morgenröte ("The Dawn"), where I believe
this is from, deals a lot with "belief" not with "thought", and
Nietzsche makes a big deal about this distinction throughout his
works. I would be surprised if "think" captures his true intentions.

That said, why don't you quote it in German anyway? Hate

If you want me to, I can dig up the actual German line on the weekend.

>  \          "Writing a book is like washing an elephant: there no good |
>   `\        place to begin or end, and it's hard to keep track of what |
> _o__)                           you've already covered."  -- Anonymous |

LMAO! Having (actually) done both already, I can only concur. Ha!
This one goes into my quote book.

also sprach Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> [2005.05.17.1321 +0200]:
> The current best practise is to not assume that everybody wants to
> use debhelper or cdbs.

> However, if you ask the maintainer first, you might want to do
> something similar for those who still use debmake. It is not a bug
> to use debmake, and there may even be people that prefer it over
> debhelper (or a hand-rolled debian/rules files), but I would like
> debmake to disappear some day, so the less packages that use
> debmake, the better.

`. `'`
"auch der mutigste von uns hat nur selten den mut zu dem,
 was er eigentlich weiß."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche