Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On 17-May-2005, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Ben Finney [Tue, 17 May 2005 12:00:38 +1000]:
> > That's exactly what I need help with. What should I do to decide
> > "here's a bunch of hand-rolled stuff that has a direct or indirect
> > debhelper replacement"?
>
> debhelper(7) contains a list of all the available dh_foo programs,
> and a short description of each. That should give you hints of what
> stuff can be done with it. And also, very importantly, read examples
> under /usr/share/doc/debhelper, since most packages will use a very
> similar structure.

Thanks, I should have looked harder in the existing debhelper
documentation; I got to the manpage and stopped. Probably because I'm
trying to make minimal changes rather than rewrite from scratch;
though that's obviously no excuse.

> You can take a look at already-using-debhelper packages that have to
> solve similar problems to the ones in the package you're trying to
> migrate.

I guess what I'm hoping for is one or more war stories from those
who've taken an existing, possibly crufty debian/rules, and converted
to debhelper. I see occasional comments to that effect in changelogs
as they whiz past, but it's common to see someone blog the experience
of moving from one infrastructure to another.

> The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in
> higher esteem those who think alike than those who think
> differently. -- F. Nietzsche

Thanks, a new quote for my sigmonster.

--
 \          "Writing a book is like washing an elephant: there no good |
  `\        place to begin or end, and it's hard to keep track of what |