Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On 17-May-2005, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> I don't think there's really consensus on it, but from personal
> experience, I highly favour debhelper for reasons of least surprise:

This seems a good reason, thanks.

On 17-May-2005, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Ben Finney [Tue, 17 May 2005 11:35:56 +1000]:
> > I'd like to submit patches for a couple of packages that currently use
> > hand-rolled debian/rules files.
>
> Which packages, and why?

I'd rather not say, since I don't want to imply they're poorly
packaged. It's more that I'd like to practice for my own packages by
helping someone else first, and getting their direct feedback.

> I mean, there are very cleanly packaged files that don't use
> debhelper nor cdbs (see e.g. make). But there can be awfully written
> debian/rules files, hence my question.

The initial impetus was that I wanted to turn a package from a simple
one-binary to a multiple-binary package, and found myself wanting to
consolidate some of the resulting repetition between debian/rules
targets.

> Hah! Since that's a tricky question, I'll just say that to fix a
> hand-rolled debian/rules, migrating to debhelper will probably be
> easier and more obvious, just by substituting chunks of commands
> with the appropriate dh_whatever invocation.

That's exactly what I need help with. What should I do to decide
"here's a bunch of hand-rolled stuff that has a direct or indirect
debhelper replacement"?

More to the point, how do I debhelper-ise an existing package and know
that I've made good use of debhelper, rather than leaving lots of
manual stuff that I didn't know to replace?

--
 \                         Contentsofsignaturemaysettleduringshipping. |
Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>