Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:35:56AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> I'd like to submit patches for a couple of packages that currently use
> hand-rolled debian/rules files. Is the current best practise to use
> debhelper, or cdbs, or something else?

I don't think there's really consensus on it, but from personal
experience, I highly favour debhelper for reasons of least surprise:

- What's going on is mostly clear, it's in fact 'basicly' a library of
  command snippets
- No makefile fu, easily debuggeable because there's a clear place to
  put extra code at each step, and because of DH_VERBOSE. Flow of
  control is easy when not having expert makefile fu in debian/rules,
  and most people are no makefile experts
- No need to migrate away from cdbs at any time you need to do something
  complicated not catered for in cdbs (in cdbs you require to have hooks
  available for what you want, rather than that being automatically
  available)
- Does not encourage evil things like build-time rewriting of
  debian/control
- Much more mature, cdbs is still in high flux, and iirc a rewrite
  (cdbs2) is planned or underway
- And last but not least, debhelper is used in much more packages than
  cdbs, and greater familiarity exists amongst DD's and other
  maintainers

This is my personal opinion, but real bugs are backed by this, like
the most recent one I encountered: #309367

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl