Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Ben Finney wrote:

> I'd like to submit patches for a couple of packages that currently use
> hand-rolled debian/rules files. Is the current best practise to use
> debhelper, or cdbs, or something else?

The current best practise is to not assume that everybody wants to use
debhelper or cdbs.

However, if you ask the maintainer first, you might want to do
something similar for those who still use debmake. It is not a bug to
use debmake, and there may even be people that prefer it over debhelper
(or a hand-rolled debian/rules files), but I would like debmake to
disappear some day, so the less packages that use debmake, the better.