Re: Debian vs RedHat init script

von Bidder wrote:

> Thanks for the url. I'm not sure how that solves my problem. As I
> understand you, I need to convince the upstream maintainer to switch
> to LSB style initscript. I can try doing that. The initscript has

Yes, that was my idea - so everybody can use the same init script.

> some weird function, which might be optionally used by the user, to
> exchange ssh keys, so that the dump is copied to the server using ssh
> (scp). The function has no place in the initscript, but RedHat

As far as I see it, an lsb compliant init script can still do whatever
it wants as long as it does the right things for the start/stop/...
arguments, so that shouldn't be a problem. (And you don't have to use
that part, after all)

> prefers to do it, that way. I've placed that key exchange, as part of
> postinst.
>
> If, for some reason, the upstream maintainer doesn't wish to modify
> the initscript, to adhere to LSB recommendations, then, do I have an
> alternative way to resort to?

I guess just keep your own init script. You may want to document in
README.Debian that the ssh key functionality of the RH script is done
differently, just in case the Debian package is used by a user used to
the other script.

greetings
-- vbi

--
Email returned to sender -- insufficient voltage.