Re: Debian vs RedHat init script

This one time, at band camp, Chirag Kantharia said:
> Hi!
>
> I'm packaging netdump for Debian. The package comes with it's own
> initscripts, which are RedHat specific. I had used the Debian template
> for initscript, in my first attempt to package netdump. Using the
> RedHat version of the initscript (maintained upstream), I edited
> Debian template, to match the functionality provided by the RedHat
> initscript.
>
> Because of this, I have, now, two copies of initscripts (RedHat and
> Debian), which my sponsor, thinks, is redundant. The initscripts
> differ quite a bit, and I am not sure, if one format can be converted
> to another, using simple commands (and thus, be able to maintain just
> one copy).
>
> How do the other packages, get around this? I would be glad, if you
> would point me to specific packages, that have a (upstream maintained)
> RedHat specific initscript within the package source.

One of my packages (clamav) comes with init scripts for both RedHat and
Suse.  I leave them as is in the source tarball, and just don't put them
in the distributed .debs.  There are many ways to do this, but I've
found the easiest is to have the normal `make install` go to
debian/tmp, and then pick what you want out of there to go to the
respective package directories.

HTH,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |