Re: Debian vs RedHat init script

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:57:02AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
| Current prerelease of the LSB 2.0 spec has something on
| <http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/booksets/LSB-Core/LSB-Core/iniscrptfunc.html>,
| but I'd have to read and understand it really well, and also look at
| how much of it Debian offers (with or without lsb package). Haven't
| looked at the 1.3 spec.

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the url. I'm not sure how that solves my problem. As I
understand you, I need to convince the upstream maintainer to switch
to LSB style initscript. I can try doing that. The initscript has some
weird function, which might be optionally used by the user, to
exchange ssh keys, so that the dump is copied to the server using ssh
(scp). The function has no place in the initscript, but RedHat prefers
to do it, that way. I've placed that key exchange, as part of
postinst.

If, for some reason, the upstream maintainer doesn't wish to modify
the initscript, to adhere to LSB recommendations, then, do I have an
alternative way to resort to?

Regards,

--
Chirag Kantharia, chirag.kantharia@hp.com