Re: debmake or dh-make, what should I use?

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 09:35:32PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2004.10.17.2031 +0200]:
> > That isn't an accurate description of debmake, as should be clear
> > from its package description. The debmake package contains debstd,
> > which is a monolithic program occupying roughly the same space as
> > debhelper, and deb-make, which is analogous to dh_make.
>
> Apologies for spouting false information. Now I am getting
> interested in this.
>
> So I guess the answer is: they are largely the same and differ only
> in debian/rules, which dh_make creates based on debhelper and
> deb-make uses debstd.
>
> Has anyone looked at both, debhelper and debstd? debhelper is the
> quasi-standard, but is debstd worth a look?

Yes, I've looked at both. It's been deprecated for years and years and
years for a reason. :-) Unless you're interested in archaeology or in
seeing how to do the job wrong, it's probably best avoided.

Apart from bad design, debstd is unlikely to deal with many more modern
packaging requirements, since it hasn't been developed for a long time.