Re: RFS: gtklp -- Frontend for CUPS written in GTK+

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:03:17AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> I need to improve on my reading skills. ;-) - I'll offer advise in
> exchange: You should install or upgrade autotools-dev on your machine,
> config.(guess|sub) is still old because the respective code in
> debian/rules requires autotools-dev.

apt-get -t unstable -u install autotools-dev
exit 00;

> I am willing to sponsor the package in its current state to rid of a
> gnutls5 dependency in sid.

Thanks very much! :-)

> It would be nice if gtklp could be fixed with respect to
> http://bugs.debian.org/242950 but for gtklp it is a little bit more
> complicated than
>
> #1 Add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE near the start of configure.in
> #2 libtoolize --force --copy && aclocal && autoheader && automake \
>    --add-missing --copy && autoconf
> #3 clean up
>
> which suggests putting this of to the second upload.

Yep, that's definitely for the 2nd upload -- I haven't even started with
the Goat Book yet (apt-get install autobook/unstable). Probably, this
should be forwarded upstream...

> I played a little bit with it and needed to manually remove ./missing
> (because automake did not overwrite it with a fresh version) and work
> around a incompatibilty between po/Makefile.in.in of the antic
> version of gettext used in the package and current autotools
>
> -mkinstalldirs = $(SHELL) `case "$(MKINSTALLDIRS)" in /*) echo "$(MKINSTALLDIRS)" ;; *) echo "$(top_builddir)/$(MKINSTALLDIRS)" ;; esac`
> +mkinstalldirs = $(SHELL) $(top_srcdir)/mkinstalldirs
>
> This looks hackish and I do not know whether it might break stuff. -
> The proper fix would be updating gettext, but I could not deal with
> that in the limited timeI chose to invest. - It is something upstream
> should do, imho.

Nice hack ;) I also patched that Makefile 'coz those .gmo's that were
built at last debuild were left over and caused dpkg-source to freak
out...

-	rm -f core core.* *.pox $(PACKAGE).po *.new.po
+	rm -f core core.* *.pox $(PACKAGE).po *.new.po *.gmo

I've sent this patch to upstream, says he'll look into it... Currently
he's working on getting gtklp on GTK2, so I think it's worth telling him
about updating his autotools and libtool too (and those `toos' are too
much ;P

Thanks again for sponsoring this package. And for now, I'm gonna work on
that libtool and po stuff... after I finish teaching my students some
math...

Cheers,
Zakame ;)

--