Re: Issues found with diogenes

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:57:35PM +0200, Jeremy Lain? wrote:
> Anyhow, diogenes 0.9.9.3-4 fixes this, can you possibly confirm that
> the installation works as expected?

Upload it to my queue (as described at
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/sponsorship.html) and I'll check it out.

> This still leaves the "communicating via console" problem if you
> choose "Other" as a webserver, I'll wait for your thoughts on the
> subject.

I'd say that if the problem can be detected at the time the config script
runs, you should have your config script popup the appropriate note at that
time.  If it can't be detected until postinst, it's a bit more of a problem,
but Policy is pretty clear that all user interaction should be done through
debconf, and I don't think it's a mortal sin if you pop up something during
postinst if the user really, really wants it.  It'll never be shown if
they've set DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive anyway, and the admin will get an
e-mail telling them all about it, which I think is a better option than
simply printing something on the screen which will be missed if I've gone to
make a cuppa.

And yes, if horde does the same thing, it should be bugged appropriately.

- Matt