Re: Iuusues when packaging libraries..

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:24:59PM +0200, Robert Ribnitz wrote:

> I am responsible for the package htdig. Htdig is a full-text indexer for
> (local) sites, ie. will generate a full-text (searchable) index of that
> site.
> The thing is written in C++, and comes with loads of libraries. While
> the procedure described in the various manuals (the shlibs system) is
> great if you have very few libraries that do not interdepend, it is imo
> not a solution for cases like mine (over 30 libraries, that interdepend).
>
> Hence my mail to this list. I am looking for a solution to package those
> libs, if possible without getting warnings like:
>
> >dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for (libraryname-version.so)

If the libraries are private (only used by htdig itself), then you can avoid
some of this if you can write correct dependencies without the shlibs
system.  In this case you should also generally move the libraries into a
subdirectory of /usr/lib.  I can't imagine that it provides 30 separate
libraries which would be useful to other programs.

See the mozilla package for an example.

--
 - mdz