Re: Need a sponsor to upload #234303

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:50:24AM -0300, Everton da Silva Marques wrote:
> I'm unsure on how to apply licensing terms to RULI
> (GNU GPL)
> plus this recently created PHP4-binding. Do we have
> compatibility issues with the PHP license?

Since your library is under the GPL, I presume that the PHP4 binding is also
under the GPL.  In that circumstance, it would be necessary to provide an
exception to the GPL to allow people to distribute your software linked with
the PHP4 API, the code for which is licenced under the PHP licence, which
according to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html is considered GPL
incompatible.

Text such as the following would be useful in your licencing statements:

"Additional to those permissions granted by the GNU Public License,
permission is given to distribute copies of this work linked to software
licenced under the terms of the PHP licence, Version 3.0".

You can restrict the permission to just PHP itself, but that gets into the
whole "what is PHP and what isn't PHP" (forks, for instance) so it's better
to grant permission for the licence.

> BTW, I might be able to get a DD signature on my GPG
> key
> next Saturday. There will be a DD speaking in a local
> event.

Excellent.  That takes care of one point of your NM process.

> I'm facing a new issue while packaging ruli-0.18 for
> Debian. I see the messages below complaining about
> lack of
> "Section for source files", and "Debian-native
> package". Also, the 'diff' file is not being
> generated. I'm
> probably doing something stupid, but could not solve
> this
> yet. Please someone advise.

The "Section for source files" means (from memory) that you don't have a
Section: definition in the stanza for your source package in debian/control.

Debian-native package means that there's no "original" source code available
to base a diff on.  The way to generate this original source is to simply
take your released tarball, sans any Debian-specific modifications (usually)
and rename it to ruli_0.18.orig.tar.gz, and put it in the same directory as
your ruli-0.18 source directory.  Then dpkg-buildpackage will use the
contents of the .orig.tar.gz to calculate the .diff.gz for the Debian
release.

- matt