Re: Need a sponsor to upload #234303

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:44:43PM -0300, Everton da Silva Marques wrote:
> I do intend to push the library, but I actually don't
> have a map of Debian applications which use SRV
> records. I'm planning to contact those applications
> (i.e. their maintainers) as soon as I find them,
> but I would like to have the packaging ready first,
> so to ease things.

I'd start hitting up the maintainers (and upstreams) of packages which
*could* use SRV records, regardless of whether they currently do or not, and
suggest it to them.  All MUAs are immediate candidates, as are most
other packages that use network services.  Web browsers (for HTTP proxies),
even anything that uses a network database could optionally get the location
of the domain's DB server out of DNS.

> AFAIK, there is no RULI bindings for other languages.
> I suppose this kind of binding is a good way to
> widespread SRV awareness; one that I've been missing.
> While I'm at this I could even try to provide
> one for PHP though. Or for Perl. Java? Let me do
> some research.

I asked for PHP specifically because I have a couple of packages (not to
mention internal applications) which could potentially benefit from it, and
I'm primarily a PHP programmer these days.  But I can see that Perl, Python,
Java, and potentially the lesser-known languages like Ruby, Scheme, Tcl,
etc, could all do with a generic SRV checker.

> > Well, there are two "active" Brazilian DDs in Sao
> > Paulo, according to
> > db.debian.org, another one is in Rio de Janeiro.
>
> How do you find they are "active"? So far I have
> tried to contact hmh@debian.org and macan@debian.org,
> without success.

hmh isn't in Sao Paulo, although he could be right next door for all of my
knowledge of Brazilian geography.  "Active" is based on the fact that
they're not marked as retired, emeritus, or whatever in the DB.  macan's
last appearance on echelon's rader was about a month ago, which might
indicate he's on holiday or something.

> > I'm not personally all that keen on scanned ID, as
> > there's no real validity
> > that it's really you.  After all, you could have
> > found someone else's ID on
> > the street and decided that you wanted to
> > impersonate that person online.
> > Without the reference between "photo ID, physical
> > person", a photo ID isn't
> > worth a whole lot.
>
> I agree. Most unfortunate.

That's why I was investigating the notary public option.  The utility of
that approach depends to a large degree on the trustworthiness of your local
notary publics...

- Matt