Re: How to adopt Package 'taper'?

Rene Tschirley <pooh@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Due to the WNPP the package 'taper' is orphaned for quite a long period
> of time. According to Martin Michlmayrs posting in debian-devel, the packet
> will be removed from Debian if nobody volunteers to become the new
> maintainer. I use taper and think it would be a pity to loose this
> software. If still nobody volunteered, I would.

> The Applicant's Checklist requires me to find an advocate before applying
> to become a new maintainer.
[...]

There is a misunderstanding. You don't need a mentor but a sponsor.

It works like this:
1. You do some work for Debian, e.g. maintaining taper for a while with
   a sponsor, proving that that know how to do it and that you are
   willing to invest time and effort.
2. *After* you have done that, you can choose to try to become an
   official DD a maintainer and should be able to find an /advocate/, i.e.
   a DD that testifies "I've worked with Rene Tschirley and seen his
   work, I want him to be a DD, too."

             cu andreas