Re: Looking for sponsor (Kylix libs packaging project)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:34:30PM +0000, Bro1 wrote:
> > Those libs are binary-only run-time libs if I understand correctly.
> > Did you evaluate the impact of those C++ libs in respect with gcc 3.2
> > migration path in sid? They are compiled against old ABI, I think. And the
> > same for all Kylix stuff.
>
> Hi,
>
> you understand this correctly, these packages are binary only (some
> of the libraries are released under GPL, but Borland seem to ignore all
> my requests to provide the source code to me.
>
> I see no really big problem in the fact that sid is moving to gcc 3.2...
> I believe Debian is going to provide old libraries as some kind of
> compatibility layer for exactly this type of situations... The same
> way as libc5 package maintained by you is provided for backward
> compatibility with binary only applications...
>
> Also these Kylix libraries should not be accessed by anything other than
> applications written in Kylix Delphi and Kylix C++ builder...

That's almost true. What about mixing Kylix native and C++ modules?
Mixing C++ ABI is exactly what you cannot do. I do not know Kylix at
all, but I think it provides its own compiler, but allows language mixing.
Minimally a warning about this should be provided if this
kind of things cannot be done.

> Sure I might be wrong... Is there any way to test these packages with
> new gcc 3.2 stuff?

Yes, try compile a test application with kylix and mix languages
on current sid.

> I believe that there should be an easy way to run Kylix applications on
> Debian...

Yep, sure.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine