Re: Packaging phpLDAPadmin. Newbie's questions.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:46:35 +1100, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> said:

> What's to heavily modify?  I presume the config file is a fairly
> reasonable format, in which case a search 'n replace for
> 'config_option\s=.*$' to 'config_option = <new value>' would
> appropriately modify the file to suit your needs.

> Unfortunately, if the user decides to modify the conffile at some
> later point, your upgrades will tend to blow away those changes if
> the user hasn't used debconf to make the change.  To cover that
> circumstance, I've started to make a file containing an md5sum of
> the config file, and before I change it I make sure the user hasn't.
> If they've changed it at all (so the md5sum has changed), I don't
> make any modifications and it's then the user's problem to keep it
> up to date.  It's by no means perfect, but it follows Policy's "must
> keep local config changes", and doesn't require pre- and
> post-knowledge of what the options were in Debconf.

	This is suboptimal.  If there are changes that would be made
 to a file if the user has not modified the file, then the user should
 be offered the choice to accept these changes even if they have
 modified the configuration file on their own. The "my way or the high
 way" approach is a dissservice to our users.

	Check out ucf; it has been specifically written to allow you
 to offer the user a choice, exactly like dpkg does for conffiles.

	manoj
--
Kids have *_____never* taken guidance from their parents.
If you could travel back in time and observe the original primate