Re: Packaging phpLDAPadmin. Newbie's questions.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:32:48AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:46:35 +1100, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> said:
> > the user hasn't used debconf to make the change.  To cover that
> > circumstance, I've started to make a file containing an md5sum of
> > the config file, and before I change it I make sure the user hasn't.
> > If they've changed it at all (so the md5sum has changed), I don't
> > make any modifications and it's then the user's problem to keep it
> > up to date.  It's by no means perfect, but it follows Policy's "must
> > keep local config changes", and doesn't require pre- and
> > post-knowledge of what the options were in Debconf.
>
> 	This is suboptimal.  If there are changes that would be made
>  to a file if the user has not modified the file, then the user should
>  be offered the choice to accept these changes even if they have
>  modified the configuration file on their own. The "my way or the high
>  way" approach is a dissservice to our users.

OK, so I'll add a question asking part to my script.  It doesn't mean the
entire concept is flawed.

> 	Check out ucf; it has been specifically written to allow you
>  to offer the user a choice, exactly like dpkg does for conffiles.

But it's still "all my changes or all your changes", right?  Which is "my
way or the highway" asked on every upgrade... <g>

Anyway, last time I looked at ucf it's documentation spent a lot of time
discussing esoteric examples and absolutely no time showing me how to apply
it to my packages.  On a hunch, I just went and installed the latest version
of ucf, and it appears that the documentation has morphed into something
useful, so my homegrown hack's days may be numbered.

- Matt