Re: Packaging phpLDAPadmin. Newbie's questions.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:07:46PM -0600, David Segonds wrote:
> 1. Even though, Architecture was set to 'all' in debian/packages, the
> 'changes' file I obtain is tagged with 'i386'. Is this normal? The same
> thing happen when I repackage phpmyadmin.

Yes.  The changes file will always be tagged with the arch you built on.
That is normal behaviour.  The .deb should be tagged _all, of course.

> 2. There is an INSTALL file in the upstream .tar.gz and I want to copy
> it in /usr/share/doc/phpldapadmin but 'lintian -l' is complaining about
> it saying that upstream install instructions are useless to the Debian
> users installing the package. Can I rename this file as README, as it
> contains more information than the traditionnal INSTALL instructions?

If there isn't another README in the package, that sounds like a good way to
go - and pest upstream into either splitting the file or renaming it to
README.

> 3. How far should I go in configuring the package after installation?
> Should I prompt the user for the information about the LDAP server
> he/she intends to connect to? Should I let the user manually edit the
> configuration file. Changing two lines is likely to be enough in most
> situations.

I'd probably ask the questions.  Users will enjoy the fact that they can
just install and away.

- Matt