Re: [OT] A question for programmers - Inspiration

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On 20030321T123756-0500, Matthew Danish wrote:
>
>>Neither of the programming books I recommended restrict themselves to
>>the theory.
> Reading books is theory, regardless of what they cover.
Reading man pages, too, unless you want to practice using man.

In my limited experience, most people that fail or perform poorly at programming
tasks do so due to lack of theoretical understanding.
I fully agree that only reading doesn't gain you much, but the same can be said
about the most theoretical aspects of mathematics, too. (Well at least for
regular users.) After one does understand, implement and trace trough all
algorithms in Knuth's TAOCP, one is bound to have some experience, too.

That said, experience certainly is invaluable, too, but that's a second step.

Cheers

T.