[OT] A question for programmers - Inspiration

OK, so this is going to be somewhat of an esoteric question but..  How did
you really delve into development and what is/are your sources of
inspiration.  I am trying to dive head first into Python/Perl?/C/C++ and
while it's easy enough to write the "Hello Worlds" and CD-catalog programs
:-) how did you move beyond that.

For example.  I see a lot of questions on debian-user about configuring IP
addresses, so I thought, hey I'll write a quick Python app to configure
/etc/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf.  Of course doing an apt search
produces etherconf, linuxconf, and several other utilities for configuring
interfaces.  Would you write the app anyway just for the experience??  How
did you get from the middle ground to guru-dom??  Or is the answer that if I
need to ask, I will never be a hacker!!??  :-)

Thanks!!

Barry deFreese
Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports
(949)-616-4005
Barry.deFreese@nike.com

"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell