Re: gpg key validity question

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:04:39AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I still don't understand what you mean by a 'without-ID key'.  It's
> difficult to give you a clear answer unless you can give us tangible
> information.  A PGP uid has three parts to it: a name, an email address,
> and a comment.  What does he have in each of these?  If the PGP key he's
> asking you to sign has a name OTHER than his own on it, then you should
> NOT sign it:  if anything, you should mention this to his AM.

Ok I clarify :

Let say his name is Robert Redford and his email is nickname@somewhere.com.
Let say that everybody know him as and call him nickmane.

So his gpg uid is nickmane <nickname@somewhere.com>.

His email does not contain something that looks like a name.

I am sure he is nickname but the ID check is useless.

> If he's trying to become a DD, he will need to have a PGP key that has
> his real, legal name on it, with a valid email address, and this key
> must be signed by an existing DD.  If he doesn't have a PGP key that has
> his name on it, that's the first step that he must take.

Ok but my question is : Can I sign his key as-is ? In my understanding I
can but that mean that the NM process is flawless in this regard and is
going to reject his key.

Christophe

> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life.
--Faith Resnick