Re: gpg key validity question

I forgot to mention that we exchanged encrypted secret words and that I
check the fingerprint when I meet him.

He use his email address in his gpg key but his email address is not
related to his name.

I am sure he is the guy behind the key.
I started this thread because of the debian implication.

I believe that from the pure 'web of trust' point of view I can sign his
key.

Now from the debian point of view, I don't know.
I understand that the NM process need an ID. So even if I sign his key or
not, It should not be possible for him to go further without providing a
gpg key containing his name and signed by a dd.
So this told me that I can sign his key.

But I am not sure there is no flaw in the NM process here :
. Would an authentification be required if his without-ID key is signed
by a dd ?
. What if he add a with-ID uid in his key after. I would not have signed
this new uid but then I am afraid that he will pass the 'Identification'
step of the NM process. Even if he add a false identity.

My current thought is that I will sign his key if he adds first a uid
with ID data corresponding to the ID I have checked.

Christophe

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:40:29AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:04:20AM -0400, christophe barbé wrote:
>
> > I wonder if it is acceptable to sign a key from someone that :
>
> > - I meet him personnaly and saw his ID
> > - I saw him in a public meeting in a specific role (We can consider he
> >   is well known)
> > - I have a lot of public mails from him that are all signed
>
> > But the key makes no references to his name.
>
> > In my understanding the ID is useless but I have enough element to
> > believe he is the guy he said he is.
>
> > I understand that if I sign his key I personnaly identify him and it
> > will be enough for him in regard to the identification part of the NM
> > process.
>
> > Should I sign his key ?
>
> Since you're asking the question, I gather you also think there's
> something not quite right here.  When you sign someone's key, you're
> vouching that the key belongs to who it says it does.  That is, you're
> asserting that you have knowledge of the identity of the person using
> the key.  If the key doesn't have this person's name on it, what *does*
> it have on it?  Is he using a pseudonym?  Is he only using an email
> address?  I would not have a problem signing a key that had an email
> address with no name as a uid; however, such a key is not useful for
> the NM process: people become Debian Developers, not email addresses.
>
> If the key uses a pseudonym, I would not sign it.
>
> Have you received a PGP fingerprint from him in person?  If not, you
> don't have any proof that there isn't someone between you and him that
> intercepts all of his email and re-signs it with a different key.
>
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
   Albert Einstein, On Science