Re: gpg key validity question

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:56:31AM -0400, christophe barbé wrote:

> I forgot to mention that we exchanged encrypted secret words and that I
> check the fingerprint when I meet him.

> He use his email address in his gpg key but his email address is not
> related to his name.

> I am sure he is the guy behind the key.
> I started this thread because of the debian implication.

> I believe that from the pure 'web of trust' point of view I can sign his
> key.

> Now from the debian point of view, I don't know.
> I understand that the NM process need an ID. So even if I sign his key or
> not, It should not be possible for him to go further without providing a
> gpg key containing his name and signed by a dd.
> So this told me that I can sign his key.

> But I am not sure there is no flaw in the NM process here :
> . Would an authentification be required if his without-ID key is signed
> by a dd ?
> . What if he add a with-ID uid in his key after. I would not have signed
> this new uid but then I am afraid that he will pass the 'Identification'
> step of the NM process. Even if he add a false identity.

> My current thought is that I will sign his key if he adds first a uid
> with ID data corresponding to the ID I have checked.

I still don't understand what you mean by a 'without-ID key'.  It's
difficult to give you a clear answer unless you can give us tangible
information.  A PGP uid has three parts to it: a name, an email address,
and a comment.  What does he have in each of these?  If the PGP key he's
asking you to sign has a name OTHER than his own on it, then you should
NOT sign it:  if anything, you should mention this to his AM.

If he's trying to become a DD, he will need to have a PGP key that has
his real, legal name on it, with a valid email address, and this key
must be signed by an existing DD.  If he doesn't have a PGP key that has
his name on it, that's the first step that he must take.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer