Re: Kernel module package depending on kernel-headers.

Manoj> And you can set up your module postinst to install the module
Manoj> in any directory you want -- /lib/modules/2.4/foo, for example,
Manoj> and copy files at will.

Ian> But what is the point of having them in a package, then?

Manoj> Heh. I have 2.4.17 installed, and I install module_foo. Where
Manoj> do the module files go?

Manoj> I now install 2.4.18. Now, either the module search path is
Manoj> changed, or boom! no more module foo with new kernel.

Manoj> That is why the packaged module foo should copy files to 2.4.18

No.  That is why they should be _shipped_ by the module package in a
more generic place to start with, and the generic place should be on
the module search path.  Then you don't need to play postinst moving
games, and you actually get the benefits of packaging (like, dpkg -L
module_foo actually prints where the files are).

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087