Re: Kernel module package depending on kernel-headers.

>>"Ian" == Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

 Ian> The problem I have with the Debian module setup is that the
 Ian> resulting binary package is made to depend on the _exact_ kernel
 Ian> version (x.y.zz).  I know some modules require this, but most do not
 Ian> (after all, this is why we have MODVERSIONS, or?), so this is a waste
 Ian> of resources.

	Have you ever gotten that to work? I never have actually seen
 a working multiple kernel version module in the wild. And you can set
 up your module postinst to install the module in any directory you
 want -- /lib/modules/2.4/foo, for example, and copy files at will.

	The module setup is quite flexible, really. What is lacking is
 that the determination of which kernel versions one can support is a
 module specific thing, and needs effort from the modules maintainer
 to hook into the framework provided.

	The modules people can add a postinst hook into the kernel
 image (by adding to /etc/kernel-img.conf) to have their script called
 whenever a new kernel image is installed -- and todo this magic, so
 that the kernel knows to load the module. Or thet can add to the
 search path for kernel when it looks for the modules.

	But I guess it is easier to bitch about the infrastructure
 rather than figure out how to work with it.

	manoj
--
 You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut
 butter will be sold.