Re: Kernel module package depending on kernel-headers.

Sven> Ideally, i would build depend on kernel-headers-2.4, and have a
Sven> option that i can pass to debian/rules which would detect what
Sven> kernel-headers package provide this and set the kernel version
Sven> accordyingly.

Bastian> Why not makeing a unicorn-src package, providing the upstream
Bastian> tarball?  Its always a major hassle to compile
Bastian> kernel-binaries (or module-binaries) for all available
Bastian> platforms/processors. So a source package is the preferred
Bastian> way to distribute kernel addons.

Sven> How do other module packages handle this, do someone know at a
Sven> good such package i could use as example ?

Bastian> The current ALSA packages (apt-cache show alsa-source) are
Bastian> doing it this way.

The problem I have with the Debian module setup is that the
resulting binary package is made to depend on the _exact_ kernel
version (x.y.zz).  I know some modules require this, but most do not
(after all, this is why we have MODVERSIONS, or?), so this is a waste
of resources.

I actually prefer building a mostly monolithic kernel these days, and
compiling the couple of add-on modules I need directly from upstream
source, to be installed somewhere like /lib/modules/local/2.4.

Just my 2c.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087