Re: NMU with new upstream

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 03:06:51PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:53:34PM +0200, Oliver Kurth wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, the question is:
> > Is it okay to do an NMU with a new upstream version?
> >
> > Depending on the answer to that question, two more arise:
> > - did I wait long enough for the maintainer to take action himself?
> > - and is anyone willing to sponsor that NMU?
> >

> Sorry, but a NMU (but for QA uploads) is generally an 'in extremis'
> choice to correct bugs, or to be done when the maintainer appears
> inactive (or possibly MIA). Changing upstream version is not

But he seems to be MIA. I reported the bug 16 days ago, told him about my
package 9 days ago. I never got a response. The bug itself is even older.

> a good thing, 'cause it can introduce more errors than corrections.
> Leave this at maintainer choices. Eventually open a wishlist bug
> or send a backported patch.

I already reported the bug, and someone else did as well a day later.

The package is nearly unusable with the bug. But my fixed version works
flawlessly.

Greetings,
Oliver
--