Re: Orig tarball naming

On Sunday 18 August 2002 09:11, Marc Haber wrote:

> So all I'll would have to is
> (1) cvs checkout my package in the right version for the target
> distribution
> (2) invoke pbuilder to build in a chroot of the target distribution?
>
> How does pbuilder handle the case that the upstream tarball is not yet
> obtainable from Debian (for example, from a not-yet-published
> package)?

No, more like:

Set up pbuilder...

  # apt-get install pbuilder
  # pbuilder --distribution woody create

Then,

  % ls -F
  foo_1.0.orig.tar.gz
  % cvs export -d foo-1.0 -r debian_version_1_0-1 foo
  % ls -F
  foo-1.0/
  foo_1.0.orig.tar.gz
  % cd foo-1.0
  % pdebuild

  [some time later, after pbuilder has extracted the chroot, built the package
in the chroot (downloading build-deps as appropriate) and cleaned up after
itself]

  % ls /var/cache/pbuilder/result/ -F
  foo_1.0-1.diff.gz
  foo_1.0-1.dsc
  foo_1.0-1_i386.changes
  foo_1.0-1_i386.deb
  foo_1.0.orig.tar.gz
  % file /var/cache/pbuilder/result/foo_1.0-1.dsc
  /var/cache/pbuilder/result/foo_1.0-1.dsc: ASCII text
  % file /var/cache/pbuilder/result/foo_1.0-1_i386.changes
  /var/cache/pbuilder/result/foo_1.0-1_i386.changes: ASCII text

So all that is left is to test the package and sign the dsc and changes files
with debsign.

> However, I will probably continue building with my scripts (which have
> since been adapted to fetch the upstream tarball from a
> per-package-configurable location) since I don't like building
> packages as "real" root which pbuilder seems to need at the moment.

Fair enough. Use whatever is best for you.

Paul Cupis
- --
paul@cupis.co.uk